Professor Alak Kumar Buragohain (born 1 March, 1956) is the eldest son of Smt. Pratima Gohain and Late Basanta Kumar Gohain. He had his early education in Shillong and was among the first batch of graduates from North Eastern Hill University, Shillong. He obtained his Post-Graduation from Gauhati University in Botany and Ph.D. from the Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine, London in Plant Molecular Biology under University of London and DIC in Plant Virology (Microbiology) from Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine. He was the founder Head of the Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology at Tezpur University- a Central University in Assam. Professor Buragohain is also the founder of the ONGC Sponsored Centre of Petroleum Biotechnology in the same University. Professor Buragohain has extensive experience of over four decades in research and teaching. During the last ten years Professor Buragohain had stints in academic governance- first as as the Registrar of Tezpur University and as the Vice Chancellor of Dibrugarh University, Assam for full terms of five years each in both the positions. Professor Buragohain has made remarkable contribution in forging Industry- Academia Interfacing and in bringing in international academic research collaboration at Dibrugarh University under the UKIERI, Indo-US and Indo- Tunisian research schemes. He was awarded for his remarkable contribution towards Exemplary Industry-Academia Partnership by World Wide Industry Academia Network.
Professor Alak Kumar Buragohain is the eldest son of Smt. Pratima Gohain and Late Basanta Kumar Gohain. He had his early education in Shillong and was among the first batch of graduates from North Eastern Hill University, Shillong. He studied at St. Anthony's College Shillong, for his B.Sc.. He obtained his Post-Graduation from Gauhati University in Botany and Ph.D. from the Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine, London in Plant Molecular Bioology under University of London and DIC in Plant Virology (Microbiology) from Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine. He was the founder Head of the Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology at Tezpur University- a Central University in Assam.
ALAK KUMAR BURAGOHAIN
Email: [email protected]
In Shillong, Meghalaya (INDIA) on First March Nineteen Hundred Fifty Six (01.03.1956).
Mrs. Pratima Gohain and Late Basanta Kumar Gohain.
- Drug discovery
- Evolutionary Genomics.
- About 100 publications in International and National peer reviewed Journals and several book chapters.
- Involved in Peoples’ Science Movement for popularization of Science and Rational thinking.
North Eastern Hill University
- B.Sc. in Botany (Honors), 1975
First Class First
- M.Sc. in Botany (Specialization in Cytogenetics and Plant Breeding), 1977
First Class Second
University of London
- Ph.D. in Plant Molecular Biology, 1993
Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London
- DIC in Plant Virology (Microbiology), 1994
The Assam Royal Global University ,
Betkuchi Opp. Tirupati Balaji Temple NH 37, Guwahati-781035.
1.Administrative experience / post(s) and responsibilities
- Vice-Chancellor, Dibrugarh University from 10 June, 2013 to 18 July, 2018.
- Registrar, Tezpur Central University from 2008 -2013.
- Founder Head and Professor, Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology,Tezpur University,Tezpur (A Central University) Assam.
- Associate Professor, Division of Life Science, Institute of Advance Studies in Science and Technology (IASST) (A Department of Science and Technology Institution, Government of India Institute), Guwahati, Assam, India.
- Head, Department of Botany and Biotechnology, Tocklai Experimental Station, Tea Research Association, Jorhat, Assam.
- Founder Head, ONGC Centre for Petroleum Biotechnology at Tezpur University.
- Chairperson of the Students Welfare Committee (equivalent to Dean, Students Welfare) at Tezpur Central University for more than two terms.
- Reader, Department of Botany, Gauhati University, Assam, India.
- Chairpersons and Members in many Committees, Board of Studies of Central Universities of the North East and the UGC.
- Independent Director on the Board of Directors of Brahmaputra Valley Fertilizer Corporation (BVFCL),Namrup, Assam - a Public sector industry under the Ministry of Chemical and Fertilizer, Government of India.
- Member, Research Advisory Council, Aaranyak, an Internationally reputed NGO on Wildlife Conservation and Management.
- Life Member of Indian Society of Translational Research, New Delhi.
- Contributed towards revamping the administration of Dibrugarh University, the second oldest State University of Assam through-
a). Creation of a number of important legislations relating to Student discipline, reorganization of the Academic Departments and Centre for Studies into Schools of Studies.
b). Establishment of a Directorate of International Affairs towards attracting International Students to the Campus and for promoting International Academic and Research Collaboration.
c). Establishment of the Centre for Innovation and Technology Incubation, Centre for Skill and Entrepreneurship Development and Intellectual Property Rights Cell.
d). Formulated several Policy documents for the University with respect to Consultancy and Contract Research, IPR, Environment, etc.
- Completely revamped the Sports Infrastructure of the University.
- Created a forum for the Research Scholars of the University.
- Put in place several Digitalization Platforms for financial, general management and academic governance.
- Enabled setting up of Four Alumni Start-Ups.
- Ushered in a new dimension on Industry Academia Interfacing through multiple MoUs with the Tea, Coal and Oil Industry. Awarded for Exemplary Industry Academia Partnership at the National Level.
- Ushered in extensive extension activities through Associated Villages involving students and Faculty Members.
- Conducting extensive work under the Swacch Bharat Mission (Gramin), only University in the Country to have entered into an MoU with the Swacchh Bharat Mission.
- Launched a Masters Programme in communication for Health Hygiene and Sanitation with an objective to create quality Human Resource for effective implementation of the Swacch Bharat Mission (Gramin), the flagship program of the Government of India.
- Established the Centre for Petroleum Biotechnology at Tezpur Central University. This is the first such Centre in any Indian University.
- Founder Head of the Department, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Tezpur Central University, Assam.
- Click Here for Research Publication of Alak Kumar Buragohain.
- Gazi A Ahmed, Alak K Buragohain, Partha P Nath, Ankur Gogoi, Nirmal Mazumdar, Ranjan D Kalita, Amarjyoti Choudhury. FTIR and luminescence studies of nanoporous diatom frustules, Photonics and Nanostructures, Narosa Publications, New Delhi, 2010, 83-89 (In Press)
- Buragohain A. K., Plant Resources of Assam- In the Book (Assam and her people, published by KC Das, Commerce College, Guwahati on the occasion of Silver Jubilee celebrations,2009.)
- Buragohain A. K., Mitigating green house effect and stratospheric ozone depletion; Approaches based on biotechnology and environmental biotechnology. Editors: Dwibedi, P., Dwibedi, S. K. and Kalita, M. C., Scientific publisher, Jodhpur India, 2007.
- Ray, S. K. and Buragohain, A. K. Evolutionary genomics: a computational approach to find out common genomic patterns in eubacterial genomes, In network, security and soft computing (edts: Bhattacharyya D. K. and Hazarika, S. M.), Narosa Publications, New Delhi, pp 224-229 2007.
- Buragohain A. K., Axomor Bigyan Prajuktir Itihas in Assam Darpan, published by Bani mandir, Guwahati, 2007.